Okay, here it is, the definitive list of cleaning quick-wins. Like everyone I have spent a lot of time cleaning. According to the UK’s Daily Mail we spend a year and a half of our lifetime scrubbing away, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was a lot more. So, based on the hours I have clocked up so far, and cleaning tips from professionals, here are my top ten tips and tricks for getting the job done.
1. Eliminate pet hair by putting on a wet rubber glove and wipe your hand over the surface. The hair automatically sticks to it.
2. Stay focused, set the timer and stick to it. Don’t be distracted by other household tasks. You will be surprised how much you can achieve in a short amount of time.
3. Keep your most used and applicable cleaning supplies in every room, so you can access them quickly and easily. Great for cleaning up as you go.
4. Keep your other cleaning supplies kept neatly in a hanging shoe holder to save space and always wash your cleaning rags straight after use, so the dirty ones don’t get mixed up with the clean ones.
5. Use eucalyptus oil to remove the sticky residue left from kids stickers.
6. When cleaning out the fireplace, spray a light mist of water over the ashes to stop the ashes from flying everywhere.
7. To leave a room smelling fresh after vacuuming, place a few drops of essential oil near the vent where hot air is released. The air warms the oil and blows it into the room. Alternatively, you can empty a scented envelope sachet into the bag for a similar effect.
8. Vacuum mattresses regularly, particularly along piping and crevices to remove dead skin cells that attract dust mites.
9. Clean as you go, especially when cooking so spills don’t have a chance to sit around.
10. Always clean a room from top to bottom, so dust particles or crumbs fall to the floor ready for vacuuming up.
Finally, my all-time favourite is to multi-task as much as you can.
Now, I know promoting this as the definitive list is a massive claim. You will have other equally as effective tips I haven’t covered. So, add to them. Leave a comment and let’s build it a really useful list of quick cleaning tips that we can all benefit from.